Skip To Main Content

Two ECC students named to All-Iowa Academic Team

All-Iowa Academic Team-ECCEllsworth Community College students Kristina Dempster and Sophie Helldorff were inducted to Phi Theta Kappa’s 2018 All-Iowa Academic Team at a banquet in Des Moines on Feb. 28. The top Iowa community college students are nominated each year by the Phi Theta Kappa chapter at each campus.

Kristina Dempster of Wellsburg is studying Psychology at Ellsworth. She is the Secretary of the Social Behavioral Science Club, Vice President of Services for PTK, and a memberof the Business Professionals of America Club. “Being inducted to the All-Iowa Academic Team is amazing because I was able to show my children what hard work and dedication pay off,” Dempster said. “The faculty here at Ellsworth have been amazing in encouraging me to get out of my comfort

zone and go for what I want.” After graduation, she plans to transfer to the University of Northern Iowa.

Sophie Helldorff is studying Pre-Medicine at Ellsworth. She is a member of the Women’s Basketball Team, Phi Theta Kappa, Student Senate, International Travel Club, Food Committee and she is also a Resident Assistant. “Ellsworth has given me the opportunity to do things I couldn’t dream of doing in Venezuela,” Helldorf said. “Ellsworth has been the perfect place to transition to the United States.” Sophie plans to start the LPN program at Ellsworth this fall.

Both honorees were joined by Martin Reimer, Ellsworth Provost and Joerg Rochlitzer, Ellsworth Faculty.