Skip To Main Content

Dr. Chris Duree to receive ECC honorary degree

The Ellsworth Community College Board of Trustees will present retiring IVCCD Chancellor Dr. Chris Duree with an honorary Doctor of Administrative Leadership (honoris causa) degree in recognition of his 38 years in public education. The honorary degree will be presented during the Ellsworth Community College commencement ceremony on Friday, May 10, at 2 pm in Iowa Falls.Dr. Chris Duree

Dr. Duree began his time with Iowa Valley Community College District in 2008 as Provost for Marshalltown Community College; he was named Chancellor of the District in November 2009. “Dr. Duree is a true servant leader who has an incredible passion for student success,” says Dr. Martin Reimer, ECC Provost. “He put IVCCD on a path focused on learner achievement, community growth and institutional sustainability. It is an honor to work with someone of such high character and compassion.”

“My experience with Ellsworth Community College has been wonderful, the relationships I have built, in particular with the ECC Board of Trustees and ECC Foundation, has truly been one of the most satisfying parts of my job,” Dr. Duree said. “I have the deepest admiration for their passion and commitment to the College. I don’t think you can find a more passionate, deeply committed group of community members that support a community college the way the trustees and foundation do and have for many years.”

Dr. Duree said one of his fondest memories at ECC has been attending commencement ceremonies for the last 10 years. “ECC really personalizes the ceremony and makes it a special moment for students,” Dr. Duree said. “It feels odd for me now to be receiving the honorary recognition they’ve been so gracious to give to me. One of my favorite parts of the year is when I’m normally involved with presenting this honor to someone, who I feel is much more deserving than I am. I’ve always enjoyed that moment of commencement and always take the time to tell our graduates how special the trustees and foundation are.”

In November, Dr. Duree announced his retirement, which takes effect June 30, 2019. He says he is looking forward to spending more time with his wife and family, in particular their eight (soon to be nine) grandchildren.

The ECC commencement ceremony will be held in the Dittmer Gymnasium on the Ellsworth campus in Iowa Falls.