Computer Applications in Business
Whether you’re a new student, a working professional or rejoining the workforce, if you’d like to enhance your qualifications for success in the workplace and further your education, ECC’s Computer Applications classes are for you! Earn anywhere from a short three-course certificate to a two-year degree and come away with computer and technology skills required of today’s workers. Our students solve business problems utilizing computer software; manage data to support data-driven decisions; run complex queries, create forms, and develop reports; prepare and deliver eye-catching presentations; create web and print materials to support your business needs; perform mathematical operations and financial calculations to analyze and graph data to identify trends; and much more. They also develop soft skills employers prize, such as effective communication skills and professionalism.
The programs can be taken entirely online or in the classroom. Set the pace and the schedule, start at any time, and choose the length of program with an emphasis in medical, legal, accounting, or graphic design/web.
These are your options:
- Add the short certificate to any major to gain in-demand computer software skills.
- Equip yourself with the Microsoft Office skills expected in science, technology, business, and engineering classes.
- Earn a degree preparing you for a career in a professional business environment.
- Prove to employers that you have mastered Microsoft Office, the industry-leading software in the workplace, used by most professionals.
- Prepare to sit for a nationally-recognized, across-industry Microsoft certification to demonstrate that you have essential skills aligned to the requirements of the classroom and workplace and become more productive and more marketable.
- Learn Adobe Creative Suite programs to gain an edge in today’s competitive and tech-savvy job market. Add hardware classes for troubleshooting and help desk support.
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree – Provides you with expertise needed for a broad range of careers in administrative and computer services with emphasis opportunities in accounting, computer hardware, or graphic arts and web design. Opportunities for advancement exist for graduates with drive and a positive outlook. Includes 64 credit hours of coursework.
Diploma – Get qualifications necessary for a broad range of administrative and computer services careers. Includes 36 credit hours of coursework.
Employment of general office workers is expected to grow about as fast as average for all occupations. Prospects are greatest for those who have knowledge of basic computer applications and office machinery. Most job opportunities result from employment growth and high replacement needs. Employers may include local, state and federal government offices; banks; hospitals; schools; businesses; and law offices.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook, the 2012 median pay for Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistants with a high school diploma (or equivalent) was $35,330 per year. The job outlook for 2012-2022 calls for 12% growth in employment (about as fast as the national average), which should provide a significant advantage to those with a college diploma.
Admissions Partnership Program with Iowa State, UNI and Iowa
ECC participates in the Admissions Partnership Program with Iowa State University, the University of Northern Iowa and the University of Iowa to enable ECC students to transfer credits seamlessly to any of the state universities. Participants are dual-enrolled at ECC and the university with access to academic advising and student services at both institutions. The universities guarantee admission into the desired degree program, provided all requirements are met. Ask the ECC Admissions Office for more information!
The Ellsworth Experience
- ECC currently has the 17th highest student success rate (graduation rate + transfer rate) of any community college in the nation.
- The College offers generous scholarships and financial aid packages, which is why our graduates have one of the lowest average student debt loads of any college in Iowa, public or private, two-year or four year!
- What students appreciate about ECC is our smaller class sizes, which results in more one-on-one attention from the instructor and greater classroom success.