A business professional handles many day-to-day procedures and may track fluctuations in the economy and their impacts on the business. This is all part of the effort of keeping a business successful and effectively moving forward, which is a big responsibility that requires attention, dedication, and organization. Successful business professionals are skilled at networking, problem-solving, leadership, productivity, financial planning, and risk management. ECC’s experienced and engaging instructors will provide you with the skills you need to accomplish your educational and professional goals.
Ellsworth Community College offers three Business programs, depending on your career goals:
- A one-year Diploma program for those seeking an entry-level position.
- A two-year Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree for those who want to go directly into the workforce after graduation
- A two-year Associate of Arts (AA) transfer degree for those who want to transfer their ECC credits and complete a baccalaureate/bachelor’s degree at a university.
The links under Degrees Awarded (below) outline our different program options. The Diploma and AAS programs include on-the-job training that has proven to be invaluable to our students for professional networking, building their resumes, and getting their foot in the door to make a great impression on a local employer.
If you’d like to work in the related fields of sales, management training, human resources, or small business operations, this versatile degree program will prepare you for success. Demand for employees will depend on the specific job specialty. Careers are available in administrative services, finance, sales, marketing, small business operations, and management training, to name a few.
A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required for someone to become an administrative services manager. However, administrative services managers typically enter the occupation with a bachelor’s degree. These professionals are typically required to have work experience in a related occupation.
ECC’s two-year Associate of Arts (AA) transfer degree is designed to meet the requirements of colleges and universities to which students may wish to transfer for completion of baccalaureate (BA or BS) degrees. In many instances, transfer colleges accept this degree as equivalent to their own general education requirements.
Because the requirements for an AA transfer degree change periodically, students should check with their academic advisor or the ECC Admissions Office to confirm that they have the most current information. Students are responsible for knowing the requirements for the degree they hope to obtain and for planning their schedule accordingly.
Admissions Partnership Program with Iowa State, UNI and Iowa
ECC participates in the Admissions Partnership Program with Iowa State University, the University of Northern Iowa and the University of Iowa to enable ECC students to transfer credits seamlessly to any of the state universities. Participants are dual-enrolled at ECC and the university with access to academic advising and student services at both institutions. The universities guarantee admission into the desired degree program, provided all requirements are met. Ask the ECC Admissions Office for more information!
THE ELLSWORTH EXPERIENCE
- Ellsworth also supports a very active Business Professionals of America Club, where students gain valuable professional and leaderships skills. Participants travel to state and national conferences to learn, network, and test their skills in a variety of competitive areas.
- ECC currently has the 17th highest student success rate (graduation rate + transfer rate) of any community college in the nation.
- The College offers generous scholarships and financial aid packages, which is why our graduates have one of the lowest average student debt loads of any college in Iowa, public or private, two-year or four year!
- What students appreciate about ECC is our smaller class sizes, which results in more one-on-one attention from the instructor and greater classroom success.