Ellsworth Adds Women’s Wrestling to Athletics Program
Thursday / February 24, 2022
Ellsworth Community College will add Women’s Wrestling to the Athletics Program beginning in the upcoming 2022-2023 academic year.
“We’re excited to be a part of the growth of women’s wrestling here at Ellsworth Community College and be a part of history as we look to compete next fall,” Tyson Springer, Head Wrestling Coach.
- Since 1994, the number of women who wrestle in high school has grown from 804 to over 28,000 (as of 2021) (Data is collected from the NWCA OPC System)
- In 2020, The NJCAA Announced they would recognize Women’s Wrestling as an emerging sport.
- 34th state to sponsor high school Women’s Wrestling starting the 2022-23 season
- In 2020 The NWCA Multi-Divisional National Duals hosted separate NAIA & NCAA Women’s Divisions for the first time.
- In 2018 the NAIA Grants Invitational Status to Women’s Wrestling
- 100+ colleges now sponsor a varsity wrestling program
- Since 2004, women’s wrestling is now a recognized Olympic sport
- 5th school in the ICCAC to add Women’s Wrestling
- 2022-23 season will be a sanctioned sport by the NJCAA
Please visit the Ellsworth Community College website for more information. If you have questions, contact Tyson Springer at Tyson.Springer@iavalley.edu.