Academic Support Services (The Hub)
Ellsworth Community College provides a variety of academic support services to help students be successful. Most of these services are housed in The Hub, located in the lower level of Kruse Main Hall (entrance via ramp on the south side of the building). The goal of The Hub is to provide a setting in which students can study/relax/collaborate as well as find all the academic support services they need. The Hub offers group and individual study areas, study pods, a small conference room for groups, and a large conference room. We’ve listed several resources below that will be helpful to you. If you aren’t sure which of these departments or services to use, email email@example.com and we’ll put you in touch with the right person!
|8 am to 7 pm||8 am to 4:30 pm||8 am to 4:30 pm||8 am to 7 pm||8 am to 1 pm|
* While college classes are in session.
- Academic Advising – Each ECC student is assigned an academic advisor, who assists in choosing courses and seeing that the appropriate coursework is taken to assure graduation, transfer to another college or university, or completion of a career program. Students should maintain regular contact with their academic advisor throughout the year and are invited to contact members of the Hub staff whenever needed. If you’re unsure who your academic advisor is, ask a Hub staff member.
- Accommodations for Students with Disabilities – ECC provides individualized assistance to students with disabilities who identify themselves and request help.
- Athletic Study Tables – Coaches will let their student-athletes know when their mandatory study groups will meet during the academic year.
- Counseling – ECC’s limited counseling services include help with problems of a personal or social nature, decisions on curriculum choices, and vocational development. Special counseling services are also available for older students enrolling in college after being away from formal education. For more detailed information, additional resources or to schedule an appointment, contact the Hub staff or visit the Counseling Services web page.
- TRIO Student Support Services – TRIO SSS services help inspire and support ECC students in their pursuit of a college degree through one-on-one advising, financial literacy workshops, scholarship opportunities, and more. Learn more about TRIO services and eligibility from Student Success Specialist Amy Jones.
- Tutoring – Free peer tutoring provides assistance for students enrolled in specific ECC courses; our tutors are students who have successfully completed the course. Normal tutoring includes two 50-minute sessions per week, arranged one-on-one during regular Hub hours; drop-in tutoring is also available. Students are encouraged to seek assistance as soon as they experience difficulty in a course, as it may take up to two weeks to arrange a tutoring schedule. To be assigned a peer tutor, students should contact a faculty member or visit with Student Success Specialist Wanda Koehrsen. Students interested in becoming a tutor should contact the course instructor and complete a tutor application form in the Hub.
- Writing Center – The Writing Center provides students with one-on-one assistance with writing assignments for all classes. Students can get help at any stage of the writing process, and drop-in assistance is available. To schedule an appointment, fill out the online form, visit the Hub, or contact Student Success Specialist Wanda Koehrsen.
Library – A variety of resources, including computer stations and online databases, are available in ECC’s Osgood Library in Kruse Main Hall (main floor, above the Hub). Stop in or check the Library web page for details.
- The Hub is zoned for social activity in the south area, a collaborative study area in the center, and a quiet study zone at the east end of the facility.
- Use of electronic devices is allowed as long as it’s not disruptive to others.
- Food and beverages are allowed in the social zone.
- Students will use their student ID card to sign in each time they visit.
For more information about the Hub, contact Lynn Duit.