Skip To Main Content

Disability Services

Ellsworth provides individualized assistance to students with barriers that might hinder success at college. The Hub staff can provide advocacy, advice, counseling and referral information. By working together, students and staff strive to eliminate academic, attitudinal and architectural barriers.

Provision of services to students with disabilities at the college level differs from high school. Check out “Services to Students with Disabilities Differences Between High School and College” (page 11 of the pdf), which explains the differences.

Ellsworth adheres to all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and will make reasonable accommodations for any student or patron with a physical need (in the laboratories, classrooms, restrooms or for student activities and athletic events). A barrier-free environment is stressed and the campus is physically accessible throughout.

Steps to Accommodation

  1. Contact Wanda Koehrsen in the Hub. You will be asked to complete an Application for Students with Disabilities Form (pages 5-6 of the pdf).
  2. After completing the form, you will need to meet with Mrs. Koehrsen to submit documentation of disability (page 2 of the pdf) and review the information. If you are unable to obtain documentation, release forms may be signed to authorize the College to request such documentation; FERPA Release of Information Form (pages 7-8 of the pdf).
  3. When documentation is received, an accommodation plan will be developed based on your individual needs. See Responsibilities for Accommodation Requests (pages 4, 9-10 of the pdf).
  4. A letter documenting eligibility to receive services will be sent; the letter will be used when visiting with instructors each term. It is the student’s responsibility to keep instructors informed of continuing/updated needs.

Ellsworth recognizes that students’ accommodation needs may change and the accommodation support/action plan may change accordingly.

The Hub, located in the lower level of Kruse Main Hall, is an academic support system for students who need helping reaching their goals. Individual and group study/tutoring areas and resource materials are available in a supportive atmosphere.

Some students may be eligible for services provided by the Iowa Division of Rehabilitation, including complete medical and psychological diagnosis, vocational evaluation and counseling, tuition assistance for academic and vocational training, job placement assistance, prosthetic devices such as artificial limbs, braces and hearing aids, maintenance and transportation while undergoing vocational rehabilitation and occupational tools, equipment and business licenses required for placement. Some of the financial assistance is dependent on financial need. For more information or to receive services, contact Melissa Keen, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, at 515-352-7942.

For more information about accessibility, contact Student Success Specialist Wanda Koehrsen in the Hub.