TRIO Student Support Services
TRIO is a set of federally funded programs designed to ensure equal educational opportunities. Ellsworth Community College was awarded the five year TRIO grant in 2010 was re-granted in 2015, related to student support services. TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) inspire and support students in their pursuit of a degree. One step to success in college is to make a connection and feel part of a community. TRIO SSS provides support and services to help 140 students achieve and complete their ECC Degree and transfer to a four year college or university to complete a Bachelor’s Degree. TRIO-Student Support Services at Ellsworth Community College is a 100% federally funded grant for the amount of $220,000 by the U.S. Department of Education.
Eligibility for TRIO SSS is determined by federal regulations. To qualify, you must be a full-time ECC student, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be a first generation college student (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree)
- Have a disability that can be documented
- Demonstrate financial need (did you qualify for a Pell grant?).
What we provide
When you join TRIO SSS you will have these FREE support services available to you:
- Topic specific workshops
- One-on-one advising, including registration and scheduling with SSS staff
- Transfer counseling
- Trips to the state universities (Iowa State University, University of Northern Iowa and University of Iowa)
- Early registration for ECC courses
- Grant aid to eligible students (see TRIO staff for qualifying details)
- Receive one-on-one advising from TRIO SSS staff who are personally committed to helping you succeed.
- Meet and build relationships with other students – who are pursuing their college and career dreams just like you – in TRIO SSS social activities.
- Learn to budget your money now and in the future, understand credit card use, and manage student loan debt.
- Gain leadership skills that will help you grow inside and outside of college.
- Get academic and personal support from your very own dedicated SSS advisor.
- Learn about additional financial support for low-income Iowa resident students (PACE).
How to join
To be considered for TRIO SSS, you must fill out an ECC TRIO Application Form; application forms can be obtained online or in the Hub (lower level of Kruse Main). Because this is a federally-funded program, spaces are limited. Please return applications through fax at (641) 648-8596 or mail to Ellsworth TRIO 1100 College Avenue
Iowa Falls, Iowa 50126. We encourage you to fill out an application today!