TRIO Student Support Services
TRIO is a set of federally funded programs designed to ensure equal educational opportunities. Ellsworth Community College was awarded the five year TRIO grant in 2010 was regranted in 2015, related to student support services. TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) inspire and support students in their pursuit of a degree. One step to success in college is to make a connection and feel part of a community. TRIO SSS provides support and services to help 140 students achieve and complete their ECC Degree and transfer to a four year college or university to complete a Bachelor’s Degree. TRIO-Student Support Services at Ellsworth Community College is a 100% federally funded grant for the amount of $220,000 by the U.S. Department of Education.
Eligibility for TRIO SSS is determined by federal regulations. To qualify, you must be a full-time ECC student, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be a first generation college student (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree)
- Have a disability that can be documented
- Demonstrate financial need (did you qualify for a Pell grant?).
What we provide
When you join TRIO SSS you will have these FREE support services available to you:
- Topic specific workshops
- Grant aid opportunities and/or financial support to qualified students
- One-on-one advising, including registration and scheduling with SSS staff
- Transfer counseling
- Trips to the state universities (Iowa State University, University of Northern Iowa and University of Iowa)
- Early registration for ECC courses
- Receive one-on-one advising from TRIO SSS staff who are personally committed to helping you succeed.
- Meet and build relationships with other students – who are pursuing their college and career dreams just like you – in TRIO SSS social activities.
- Learn to budget your money now and in the future, understand credit card use, and manage student loan debt.
- Gain leadership skills that will help you grow inside and outside of college.
- Get academic and personal support from your very own dedicated SSS advisor.
- Learn about additional financial support for low-income students (PACE).
How to join
To be considered for TRIO SSS, you must fill out an ECC TRIO Application Form; application forms can be obtained in the Hub (lower level of Kruse Main). Because this is a federally-funded program, spaces are limited. We encourage you to fill out an application today!