Home » I Am » Current Student » Disability Accommodation

Disability Accommodation

Ellsworth provides individualized assistance to students with barriers that might hinder success at college. The Hub staff can provide advocacy, advice, counseling, and referral information. By working together, students and staff strive to eliminate academic, attitudinal, and architectural barriers.

The provision of services to students with disabilities at the college level differs from high school.

Ellsworth adheres to all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and will make reasonable accommodations for any student or patron with a physical need (in the laboratories, classrooms, restrooms or for student activities and athletic events). A barrier-free environment is stressed and the campus is physically accessible throughout.

Steps to Accommodations

  1. Contact Tina Ruch-Wesselmann in the Hub. You will be asked to complete an Application for Students with Disabilities Form. Access the form here.
  2. After completing the form, you will need to meet with Tina Ruch-Wesselmann to submit documentation of disability and review the information. If you are unable to obtain documentation, release forms may be signed to authorize the College to request such documentation; FERPA Release of Information Form.
  3. When documentation is received, an accommodation plan will be developed based on your individual needs.
  4. A letter documenting eligibility to receive services will be sent; the letter will be used when visiting with instructors each term. It is the student’s responsibility to keep instructors informed of continuing/updated needs.


The College prohibits the presence of animals on campus, with the exception of animals used for academic purposes (e.g., laboratory and instructional use), service animals, and assistance animals (limited to campus housing only and with prior approval). Assistance animals may be identified by other names such as companion animals, therapy animals, and emotional support animals. Approval of the presence of assistance animals must be obtained by the student before such animals are allowed on the campus; see Board Policy 526 for more information.

ECC students with service animals and assistance animals are encouraged to contact Tina Ruch-Wesselmann, ECC Learning Services Specialist, to begin the steps to obtain accommodations (see Steps to Obtain Accommodations above).

Ellsworth recognizes that students’ accommodation needs may change and the accommodation support/action plan may change accordingly. To apply for an assistance animal in residence life, click HERE.

The Hub, located in the lower level of Kruse Main Hall, is an academic support system for students who need help reaching their goals. Individual and group study/tutoring areas and resource materials are available in a supportive atmosphere.

Some students may be eligible for services provided by the Iowa Division of Rehabilitation, including complete medical and psychological diagnosis, vocational evaluation and counseling, tuition assistance for academic and vocational training, job placement assistance, prosthetic devices such as artificial limbs, braces, and hearing aids, maintenance, and transportation while undergoing vocational rehabilitation and occupational tools, equipment and business licenses required for placement. Some of the financial assistance is dependent on financial needs. For more information or to receive services, contact Mike Lewis, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, at 641-420-7231, or Colleen Dahle, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, at 641-530-1531.

For more information about accessibility, contact Student Success Specialist Tina Ruch-Wesselmann in the Hub.

Pregnancy and Parenting Students

Title IX, of the Education Amendments of 1972, is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex—including pregnancy and parental status— in any federally funded education program or activity. All public and private schools, school districts, colleges, and universities receiving any Federal funds (“schools”) must comply with Title IX.

Click here for a full list of accommodations for pregnant or parenting students