Dual Credit FAQ

Home » I Am » High School Student » Dual Credit FAQ


Below are a few of our most frequently asked questions, but don’t hesitate to reach out if you have others.

How do I qualify to participate in a concurrent enrollment class?

Meet with your high school counselor to determine if you meet ECC’s enrollment requirements and that of the concurrent enrollment class you wish to take (age, required prerequisite courses and minimum performance measures on placement exam).

What does “concurrent” credit mean?

Concurrent credit means you receive both high school and college credit for your ECC course, and the final grade is reported on both the high school and official college record.

What is a prerequisite? How do I know if my class has a prerequisite?

A prerequisite means there is a requirement that students must meet prior to getting into a particular class or program, for example, the course Composition II has a prerequisite of Composition I. This means you first take and successfully complete Composition I before you can start Composition II. Check with your high school counselor and ECC staff to determine if the program you are interested in has any prerequisites.

How does participation in a college class affect my athletic/activity eligibility?

College classes taken at ECC are considered concurrent enrollment courses. This means you receive both high school and college credit for each course. If you fail your ECC class, you will not be eligible for athletic and other extracurricular activities at your high school for a period of time. More information can be obtained from your high school counselor about this “no pass no play” guideline.

Does poor performance in a current enrollment class affect future financial aid eligibility?

It may.  Federal regulations require that students make reasonable academic progress in order to continue receiving financial aid. Progress is measured by the student’s cumulative grade point average, percentage of credit hours earned in relation to those attempted, and the length of the academic program.

Do Career Academies include certifications?

Industry-recognized credentials/certification may be obtained after the successful completion of a few of our Career Academies. They differ by program and are discussed in greater detail at student orientation.

What do I do when my course is over?

When the semesters conclude, you will need to return any textbooks(s) that may have been provided to you by your high school. Your final grade for each course can be found in “PawPass” and will be sent to your high school counselor.

You can also access your college transcript on PawPass to send on to your transfer college/university.